Trans-physical happenings

Today’s three Diary entries from last year describe how a framed picture of the Turin-shroud Jesus fell off the table and why we think it fell, the theme of the sermon on Sunday and a trip to the hospital in Fort William.

Saturday 13th October 2012

Loch Hasco
Loch Hasco in the shadow of Cnoc Hasco, above Flodigarry

The effects of chemotherapy

Margaret tires very easily as a result of the chemotherapy. Her third and last chemo session finished on the 28th September. The chemo seems to have a cumulative effect. This time her throat was very sore, so sore that she couldn’t eat solid food for a week. Also she had very painful blisters in her mouth which meant that she had to drink through a straw. Her throat and mouth are now very much better and she is able to eat again. She likes to keep herself busy in the house, in fact she hates to sit down for too long. She’s a doer and likes to be physically active, unlike her ‘lazy’ husband who sits working at the computer most of the time!

The picture of Jesus falls again

So, despite being tired and not fully recovered, she decided to get the hoover out and she had plans to do some gardening. There was a bag of bulbs in the cupboard in front of her. Just as she was taking the hoover out, the framed picture of the Turin-shroud Jesus fell with a clatter off the table behind her and on to the floor. She was about two feet away from the picture, which is in a heavy frame and can’t possibly fall off on its own. I was at the computer in the room a few feet away and I heard the noise and Margaret saying ‘Good heavens’. The tone of voice told me there was something wrong. I went out to see what had happened. I could see for myself. The picture was lying face upwards on the floor.

Questioning why it fell

The previous two times the picture fell we tried to work out why it had fallen. In retrospect, we think we know why the picture fell the first time. It was telling us not to go to Romania. We cancelled the trip and on the 28th of June Margaret got her diagnosis and it became all too clear – at least that’s how it seemed to us – that we had been right. The picture falling was a warning not to go. The second time it fell Margaret’s interpretation was also that the picture was telling her not to do something. On that occasion, not to buy cigarettes. If that interpretation was correct, it showed that God, or his spirit messengers, is caring for Margaret.

This third time, Margaret isn’t so sure why the picture fell. Was it telling her to take it easy? She was feeling tired and it would probably have exhausted her. Or was it telling her not to bother planting the bulbs … that she would not see them? Whatever it was, it stopped her in her tracks and she had a restful day.

Sunday 14th October 2012

All in God’s plan

A person came to church today for the first time. The minister preached from Luke 18: 35-43 where the blind beggar received his sight. Unusually for the minister, he mentioned from the pulpit that he had another sermon prepared but that he had been moved to change his sermon and instead to preach from Luke 18. Later we found out that he had prepared the sermon that afternoon just before coming to church. As we came out from church, we met the the person, who was astonished. (S)he had been reading Luke 18 that afternoon. The minister firmly believes that everything is in God’s plan. When things like that happen, it indeed confirms the hand of God in things.

Wednesday 17th October 2012

A trip to Fort William

We were in Fort William today at the Belford Hospital where Margaret got a CAT scan. This is procedure after the chemotherapy to check whether there has been any change in her condition. You’re not allowed to take food for six hours before the scan, only clear liquids. We arrived too early in Fort William and went to a cafe. Poor Margaret had to watch me eating a bacon roll while she had a drink of water. Later, in the hospital, the schedule was running late but she got the scan in the end. The consultant himself wasn’t in the hospital, but had a clinic in Broadford in Skye. The nurse told us he would be happy to see us. We would pass Broadford Hospital on the way home and we could call in. By that time the results of the scan would be in the system.

The result of the scan

When we arrived at the hospital in Broadford we waited for some time. There is nothing worse than waiting for such a result. One tends to think the worst, at least I do; what if the cancer has spread? The Fort William consultant and the Broadford surgeon ushered into a consulting room. They soon reassured us. The scan didn’t show any spread and the cancer was confined to the stomach. Margaret would have to prepare herself for the operation by exercising as much as she could to keep her fit. It would be sub-total gastrectomy, a major procedure.

We left the hospital, relieved that the chemotherapy appeared to have worked. We stopped for a meal in Portree on the way home. Margaret is aware that she won’t be able to eat big meals after the operation. The meals she is eating now are doubly sweet!